- Petroleum jelly prevents water from leaving the skin
- Petroleum jelly can be a good product for removing eye make-up
- Apply petroleum jelly on your hairline to prevent stain from hair dyes
If there’s one magical ingredient in your beauty closet that you can resort to anytime, anywhere, it is definitely petroleum jelly. It is made with a mixture of mineral oils and waxes, and is semisolid jelly-like substance. From healing wounds and burns to preventing diaper rashes and moisturising the skin naturally, petroleum jelly is undoubtedly magical, as Dr Kiran Lohia agrees. She took to Instagram to talk about benefits of petroleum jelly and why it must be in everyone’s beauty closets.
Petroleum jelly uses for skin and hair
1. If you are going swimming, apply petroleum jelly all over your body and it will effectively help in preventing dryness.
Also read: Follow These 3 Super Simple Yet Effective Tips By Rujuta Diwekar For Healthy Skin, Hair And Digestion This Summer
2. In case of any cuts and wounds, applying petroleum jelly on it twice can be beneficial in healing it quickly.
3. Dryness on face can be effectively dealt with by applying petroleum jelly on face.
4. If you have eczema, petroleum jelly can help in preventing flares and also reduce your tendency of developing eczema.
This is a name for several forms of swelling of the skin. We also call it “dermatitis.” In many people it affects the cheeks, the insides of the elbows, or the skin behind the knees.
“Petroleum jelly prevents water from leaving the skin. It prevents transepidermal water loss by full 100%,” says Dr Kiran.
This simply means that the water in your skin stays inside and your skin remains hydrates, fresh and glowing.
She goes on to add that petroleum jelly is not carcinogenic at all. It is a safe beauty product to be applied on your skin. “Consider it as your magic ingredient for scrapes, cuts, dryness, pre-swimming cream, and much more,” she says.
Also read: 4 Skincare Mistakes You Must Stop Making Right Now
Other benefits of petroleum jelly
1. Remove eye makeup
Petroleum jelly can be a good product for removing eye make-up. It has been found that petroleum jelly is safe to use in the eye area. You can remove eye make up by using a cotton pad with petroleum jelly on it. Use the one with a Q-tip for areas that are hard to reach. Do not close your eyes while wiping.
2. Prevent skin stains from hair dyes and nail polish
You can apply petroleum jelly on your hairline to prevent a stain from hair dye. This can also be helpful to prevent skin stains that occur while applying nail polish at home.
3. Can be used as a lubricant for stuck objects
Petroleum jelly can be helpful when you have a ring stuck on your finger, for door hinges, tight containers etc.
Also read: Want A Younger Looking Skin? Add These 8 Foods In Your Diet
4. Prevent split ends
This might be a little difficult to believe but petroleum jelly can actually be helpful in preventing split ends and making your hair shinier. Exposure to sun, wind and even pool water can dry your hair and cause split ends. Just rub some petroleum jelly in your palms and apply on hair ends to prevent split ends.